Business Ethics Training
Working alongside clients we address client’s specific needs to in managing ethical risks or ethical breaches. Our training packages are co-designed to be relevant in content and engaging and effective in delivery. Issues might include governance, compliance, corrupt business practices; insider conflicts of interest; insider trading; procurement fraud and bullying behaviour.
Learning Initiatives might include:
- Development of Facilitators Guide, self-paced workbooks including tailored ethical dilemmas and appropriate supporting materials for specific levels of employee training
- Facilitation of Train the Trainer Programing linking acceptable and unacceptable behaviours to company policy
Leaderships workshops differentiating between leadership and ethical leadership
- Refreshing codes of conduct, Business Principles Statements or codes of ethics to ensure synergy between organisational protocols and ease of understanding for employees
- Practical ideas and guides to consider in customising materials for specific purposes e.g. Employee induction programs, management retreats, leadership modules, fraud training and performance appraisals.
- DVD based fictional ethical dramas as a platform for learning
- e Learning modules
Typically workshops are designed to:
- Reflect the challenges employees may face and promote principle based decision making
- Empower and enthuse participants to accept personal accountability
- Skill employees in value-based decision making
- Promote a shared understanding of the types of behaviours that represent the organisations’ stated values in pursuit of its stated goals
- Provide appropriate ethical problem solving models that can be applied to “grey area” issues
- Provide employees with “a ladder of escalation” to raise issues of concern so management can be forewarned of emerging issues
We researched best practice ethical frameworks with the Chief Executives of 11 major agencies and conducted focus groups with key groups. This information was used to design a whole of government ethical framework addressing the issues identified. It was supported by the following resources:
- An ethical training course, including Train the Trainer programs, Facilitators Guides, Ethical dilemmas and take-away resources
- Self-paced learning guides for management and non-management
- A communication strategy for Chief Executives to assist with setting the tone from the top and enrich the ethical message
- An e learning module incorporating DVD footage
- A revised performance management approach which embedded aspects of ethical competencies in managerial kpi’s
- Design and delivery of train the trainer workshops in each agency
National Retail Service Organisation
Here we responded to leaders needs to ensure all employees understood their personal accountabilities to behave in accordance with the organisation’s stated values. We began at the top and facilitated a national ethics training program for the top 700 managers. The program was then cascaded through the organisa-tion’s 37,500 employees across all states. It was further supported by an e-learning program. The major benefit of the program was that business ethics came to be seen as a management function like every other aspect of business; something that needed to be actively managed rather than waiting for a crisis before ethi-cal issues were talked about.
The Financial Sector
Typically financial sector initiatives begin by building the business case for ethics and then teaching employees skills to respond appropriately to the ethical issues identified. Conflicts of Interest training modules are very popular.
We have designed large scale ethics training programs on behalf of several national financial institutions in the banking, insurance and property areas with specific modules designed for each level including:
- Specific conflicts of interest training modules
- DVD based ethical scenario based training programs
- Ethical leadership modules as part of in-house leadership programs
- Middle Manager training modules
- Graduate Induction training programs
- Board Ethical Updates
Ethical Workplace Cultures & Professional Service Firms
Our academic and field research builds a strong business case for leadership accountability for the types of ethical issues that emerge in different workplace contexts.We have worked alongside lawyers, accountants, recruitment consultants, infrastructure engineers and judicial professionals in identifying how to promote ethical workplace cultures.
Faith Based Organisations
Beginning with mission clarification, we have designed values and ethics initiatives for staff. We are proud to have worked successfully alongside national and state institutions over several years in this area.
Why Ethics Training?
Managers and HR practitioners need to develop the specific skills need to help employees respond to ethical challenges in the the ways leaders want them to. Our initiatives help managers become strong role models as well as as building strong ethical infrastructure to “manage the system” so ethical issues are appropriate-ly managed.
Participants are challenged to address the ethical challenges and issues that can emerge in their workplaces and apply ethical decisions making models to resolve these. Apathy is challenged by learning that focuses on :
- How organisational culture can corrupt and blindside employees
- How employees can justify unethical actions to themselves
- How personal accountability’s can be promoted to safeguard company reputation
- How issues of concern can be raised safely
Working alongside clients we address client’s specific needs to in managing ethical risks or ethical breaches.
Train the Trainers
Designed for appropriately qualified personnel to assist with ethics workshop roll out and to build appropriate expertise within the organisation.
This module includes:
- A one day training session focusing on facilitation skills using appropriate workplace dilemmas and case studies
- A facilitator’s guide — a step by step guide to planning and leading an ethics workshop
- Practical ideas for implementing the training program including a guide on what to consider in customising materials for specific pur-poses such including induction programs; management retreats; performance appraisals and coaching sessions
We have designed and facilitated a “Manager of Managers” ethics training program now in its fifth year delivering continuous improvement to this large enter-prise. This program involved:
- The design of a facilitator’s guide
- The development of an ethical decision making model for all employees
- Train the trainer workshops
- A dilemmas bank of issues for managers to work with their people
- Supporting e learning materials
Graduate Induction in Business Ethics & Values
We have designed several engaging and practical business ethics and values module for financial sector graduate intake programs. Often these modules are devel-oped in conjunction with the organisation’s leadership competency model and learning objectives include:
- To educate new recruits in the broad field of business ethics and governance and its relevance to their day to day workplace decisions and activities
- To develop participant skills in identifying possible ethical challenges in the workplace and how to apply ethical problem solving models to resolve these
- To assist new recruits to identify their personal ethical accountability’s
- To develop skills in raising ethical issues within an organisational context