Dr Attracta Lagan is a leading Australian business ethicist who has advised Boards and CEO’s in both the corporate and not for profit sectors, as well as working extensively with both state and local government. She is a pioneer of corporate social responsibility and sustainability in Australia and challenges business leaders to develop positive values led workplace cultures that balance what is good for business with what is good for society.
Attracta was a founding Director of the Australian Futures Foundation and a member of the Stakeholder Adviser Committee of the Australian Minerals Council providing guidance on minimizing and managing the social and environmental impacts of the industry. Prior to establishing Managing Values, she helped establish the St James Ethic Centre as Founder Director, Consulting before heading up KPMG’s national Sustainability and Business Ethics Practice.
She works extensively in Asia and throughout Australia in the applied business ethics area carrying out cultural audits, delivering Executive Coaching and Code of Conduct training for employees, and facilitating values led strategic planning sessions. Attracta is a very engaging and highly regarded public speaker and is much sought after as a keynote presenter and panel member as well as a highly skilled workshop facilitator.
Attracta holds a Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Social Sciences, a Masters of Applied Science and a PhD in Values and Organisational Change.
Attracta is the author of over 80 industry articles and two books. 3D Ethics – Managing Workplace Values, provides a blueprint for the effective management of the ethical domain of modern workplaces. It was selected as one of the top business books of 2006 by the Australian Financial Review BOSS magazine. Her previous book, Why Ethics Matters was one of the first applied ethics books published in Australia specifically for the business community.
Areas of Specialisation
- Attracta is a subject expert in the area of behaviour ethics. She brings the latest research findings to the design of her programs to ensure leaders are not blindsided to their ethical risks or how an organisation’s culture can corrupt its employees.
- Attracta was the founding director of consulting services at the St James Ethics Centre before going on to head up KPMG’s national Ethics & Sustainability practice for several years.
- She has worked alongside the leaders of many major enterprises in Australia and Asia helping executive teams measure and benchmark culture, draft organizational values and business principle statements and engage employees in their ethical accountabilities.
- Attracta has also provided ethics advisory services to several government enterprises and this advice has ranged from establishing protocols and selecting Commissioners to sitting on Ethics Review Boards.
- Victoria State Government – strategic ethics adviser to VPSC (formerly SSA )
- Melbourne University Presentation of the inaugural Gourlay Public Ethics lecture
- South Australia State Government – strategic ethics adviser to Office of Public Employment
- West Australian State Government –Commissioner for Public Sector Standards; IPPA
- Federal Government – strategic ethics adviser to APSC; convener/facilitator People and Culture Committee ATO
- Australia Society Professionals Against Corruption WA & NSW, advisor/member
- Sydney and Macquarie Universities Graduation Addresses
- NSW IPPA keynote presentations
Subject matter expert advising
- Australian Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Australian Compliance Institute
- Australian Institute of Company Secretaries
- The Local Government Authorities Association
- The Leadership Network
- The Mineral Council of Australia
- The Australian Company Secretaries Institute
- The Australian Gaming Industry
- Australian Institute of Management.
m: 0430 488 875
Follow on Twitter – AttractaLagan@attractalagan